CNLM Spotlight: Angela Prvulovic- creating buzz on CNLM’s social media

Q&A with Angela Prvulovic

Angela poses with her family and friend at the Irvine Barclay Theatre during CNLM public lecture.

Tell us about yourself. What is your major, year in school, where are you from?

I am a First Year Public Health Sciences (B.S.)  and Social Policy and Public Service (B.A.) major. I attended Sage Creek High School in Carlsbad, California.

Tell us about your family?

My parents are both immigrants from former Yugoslavia, being a first generation family they have always offered me unquestionable and full support in anything I do. You can catch them supporting me at all the CNLM events.

Why were you interested in working for the CNLM?

I have a passion for journalism and digital media, throughout high school I was involved in journalism as a web editor and photography editor, combined with my interest in psychology and neuroscience I found a perfect fit with the CNLM!

Tell us about your position with the CNLM? What do you do?

I serve as a scientific communications assistant at the CNLM. I work with Strategic Communications Director Diana Lofflin to maintain our websites and social media platforms, as well as covering our events and showcasing our team.

What is your favorite aspect of your new position?

Filming spotlights are without a doubt my favorite aspect of being a part of the CNLM, I am always excited to learn about their research and projects at the CNLM.

What has been the most fascinating thing you have learned about the brain or from people you have met through the Center?

One of the most interesting labs I have visited so far has been the Blurton Jones Lab in the Sue and Bill Gross Stem Cell Research Center. Graduate Students Amanda McQuade, Jessica Sanchez, and Morgan Coburn showed me their lab and their work linking the role Microglia— the immune cells of the brain, play to Alzheimer's Disease development. Coburn explained that by differentiating human stem cells and transplanting them in day old mouse pups, their lab is able to study the development of a lifetime disease such as Alzheimers in a short span. McQuade expanded on the role of stem cells, by taking patient stem cells they are able to convert them to microglia. They have found that by inhibiting microglia in mice they were able to delay the formation of beta-amyloid plaques, and thereby delay the development of Alzheimer's Disease.

What are your career goals?

I have a strong passion for public health and public policy with a focus on medical and pharmaceutical regulatory affairs, I hope to pursue a career in the FDA Office of Regulatory Affairs in the future.

We'd also like to share that Angela was recently accepted into the Campuswide Honors Program -- Kudos, Angela!

Please reach out if you have a story idea for social media. We look forward to hearing from you! In the meantime, check out some of Angela's posts on social media by visiting the links below.

CNLM Team Member, Angela Prvulovic holding human brain