2021 Black History Month

In honor of Black History Month during the month of February, the CNLM would like to feature Black excellence by highlighting the work of our Black faculty and students.

Jhay McKnight
Graduate Student in the Department of Neurobiology and Behavior

What are your research interests?
My research interests center around discovering or elucidating cell and molecular mechanisms of neuroregeneration/neurodegeneration. I hope to be able to discover or elucidate mechanisms that allow a therapeutic target to be identified that helps improve the quality of life of patients suffering from neuronal injury.

What would you like to share about your path to where you are today?
Though at times my journey felt like long and arduous, it was persistence and resilience which has gotten me where I am today. Not everyone has the same resilience, I would like to make the journey easier for those who wish to follow. An easier path, that in many years will no longer be the one less traveled.

What are your hobbies and interests outside of the lab?
My interests in hobbies outside of the lab are Outreach to minority students that help them pursue their interests in STEM fields. I love cooking and posting my awesome dishes to my Instagram. I love Mixed Martial arts and hope to continue to pursue my Black Belt in Taekwondo when the world reopens. Finally, I am researching to pursue my pet project of starting a science communication podcast geared towards debunking myths of science in the African American community and informing them of new discoveries or clarifying current findings in the scientific community.

Autumn Ivy, M.D., Ph.D.
CNLM Fellow, Assistant Professor UCI School of Medicine Department of Pediatrics

What are your research interests?

My lab’s research is exploring how physical exercise, a potent experience that has a number of neurobiological consequences, can affect the developing brain to modulate its function long-term. We use cutting edge techniques in molecular neuroscience to investigate epigenetic mechanisms during early-life postnatal brain development, with the idea that exercise during this period may lead to stable changes in the epigenome to influence neuronal function and memory.

I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to do what I do. The path was not easy, but knowing that I had a larger purpose in this career fueled my perseverance. My patients continue to be my inspiration. Furthermore, I would not be here were it not for the support and sacrifice of my family, and the incredible mentorship I received from brilliant physicians and scientists in the field. I truly stand on the shoulders of giants.

My hobbies all have to do with physical activity! Vinyasa yoga, hiking, running half-marathons in new places, and all types of social dancing (a pre-covid activity).