Scientist Spotlight: Joren Adams; brain research; UCI brain research; neuroscience and behavior

Interview by Maria Montchal
Art by Blake Miranda

Position at UCI

Research Specialist in the Yassa Lab

What do you study?

I study how memories are affected by mood and mood-related disorders (such as depression).

Why do you study the brain?

I study the brain because it is the organ that shapes how we perceive and experience life, and unlocking its mysteries helps us understand more about the human experience.

When did you become interested in studying the brain?

I became interested in studying the brain in high school around the same time I became interested in studying and advocating for mental health.

What is your most interesting hobby?

I’ve played quidditch for 5 years!

What is your favorite part of playing quidditch?

All of the amazing friendships and connections I’ve made.

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

Pistachio.

If you could tell the public one thing about neuroscience, what would it be?

I’d tell the public that it’s possible to get involved in neuroscience and study the brain in a wide variety of levels. For example, you don’t have to be a career neuroscientist to advance the field. You can participate in studies, or volunteer at centers. Also, since the brain shapes our entire life experience you can find ways to apply neuroscience to almost any hobby or interest you have whether that be art, music, sports, or technology. Neuroscience is not just about the brain, it’s about how the brain interacts with our world.

Scientist Spotlight is a series of the CNLM Ambassador Program's Communications Committee. The committee is led by graduate student Maria Montchal

About the artist
Blake Miranda is a UCI Alum '18 and has worked at UCI in a variety of academic and clinical roles. He combines his lifelong love of art with the mission of the CNLM Ambassadors. His research interests include how maltreatment in early childhood influences the likelihood of developing neurological disorders, as well as the role of drug and non-drug interventions for Alzheimer’s disease. Click here to email Blake.